IMAR – Institute of Marine Research is opening a call for applications for an uncertain resolute term research contract within the research project “SUMMER – Sustainable management of mesopelagic resources” (H2020-EU.22.214.171.124, grant agreement 817806.
- Scientific area: Marine Biology
- Admission requirements:
1) Hold a PhD in Biology, Marine Biology, or a closely related field;
2) Have 3 years of post-PhD experience in the scientific field of research;
3) Have a strong background in advanced statistical analyses (eg, additive and mixed-effects models, time series analyses, Bayesian analysis, individual-based models);
4) Have published or submitted research in the scientific field of this call.
In addition, candidates should demonstrate:
5) Good computational skills with knowledge in programming languages such as R, Matlab or Python;
6) Good track record of scientific publications;
7) Knowledge of the biodiversity and ecology of marine megafauna, and experience in fieldwork with these taxa;
8) Good performance in oral and written communication in English;
9) Self-motivation, independence, and ability to work in a team.
- Position description: The candidate will work and carry out research activities within the research project “SUMMER – Sustainable management of mesopelagic resources” (H2020-EU.126.96.36.199, grant agreement 817806), with a focus on foraging ecology, distribution modelling and bioenergetics of marine megafauna.
Work plan: The candidate will have the following specific responsibilities:
- Modelling the distribution, behaviour and vertical movements of megafauna based on visual and animal-borne tag observations;
- Modelling megafauna-prey spatial interactions;
- Developing/refining megafauna consumption and bioenergetic models using available data on diet composition, prey quality and predatory interactions;
- Participating in scientific cruises to acquire data and biological material for the project;
- Assisting with sampling and taxonomic identification of marine organisms collected as part of scientific project campaigns;
- Supporting students and research assistants in data analysis and fieldwork;
- Participate in project meetings and workshops;
- Assisting with project management and reporting and actively contribute to writing scientific articles in this research field.
- Applicable legislation:
Code of the Portuguese labour, approved by the Law nº7/2009 of 12th February with all the modifications introduced thereafter
- Working Location
The work will be developed at IMAR- Instituto do MAR, based at the Department of Oceanography and Fisheries, University of the Azores in Horta (Faial Island) under the scientific supervision of Mónica Silva, PhD.
- The contract is to address a temporary need of IMAR, during the period strictly necessary for this purpose, on an exclusive basis as mandated by IMAR-Institute do Mar contract regulations and Portuguese legislation, in particular the Portuguese Labour Code.
- The contract will remain active from the date of signature until the end of the project´s funding, or completion of the work. The contract expires when predicting the occurrence of the term, IMAR communicates this information to the Researcher, with at least 7, 30 or 60 days as the contract has lasted up to six months, six months to two years or longer period.
- Compensation: The researcher will be paid according the category of Técnico Doutorado corresponding to gross value (before taxes) of 2128.34€, including all other benefits described in the Portuguese legislation.
- Evaluation criteria:
The selection of candidates will be based on curriculum evaluation, taking into account the academic record and the demonstration of the capabilities listed in the admission requirements. Candidates who do not meet admission requirements in points 1 to 4 will be excluded. Admitted candidates will be classified on a scale of 1 to 5 on the following evaluation criteria and weighting scheme: 3 (20%), 4 (20%), 5 (20%), 6 (20%), 7 (5%), 8 (5%), 9 (10%).
- Application submission: The call will be open from 14th to 25th October 2019. Applications must be submitted by email, with the subject “Call – IMAR /Investigador Doutorado contract/2019” to Dra. Sandra Silva (email@example.com) com cc para Doutora Mónica Silva (firstname.lastname@example.org), with the following documents: letter of motivation with justification of skills for the position, detailed Curriculum Vitae, and copy of university degrees and other certificates. Failure to submit the requested documents will result in the exclusion of the applicant.
- Evaluation committee: Dra. Mónica Almeida e Silva (President of the committee), Dr. João Gonçalves (vogal) and Dr. Pedro Afonso (vogal). The composition of the evaluation committee may be changed in case of eventual conflict of interests with competing candidates.
- Notification of results: The final results will be presented in a list ranked by the candidates’ final scores, to be sent by e-mail to all applicants. The successful candidate will be notified via email
If the decision is unfavourable, the candidates have 10 working days to appeal. IMAR reserves the right to cancel this process and not select any candidate, if no candidate presents the required academic training, the qualifications and/or does not meet the conditions and/or profile deemed necessary for the efficient execution of activity.