A call is open to hire a doctoral researcher under a fixed-term employment contract, with a duration of 12 months, scheduled to start in March 2022.
1-Position: Researcher contract within the project DeepWalls “Exploring pristine deep-sea walls to establish baselines for Good Environmental Status in the Azores” funded by the Operational Program Açores 2020 (ACORES-01-0145-FEDER-000124), and developed by the IMAR – Instituto do MAR, with headquarters at the Department of Oceanography and Fisheries of the University of the Azores.
2-Technical and scientific discipline: Biological Sciences
3-Admission requirements: Candidates must hold:
- A PhD degree in biology, marine sciences, or a related field (In the event the doctorate degree was awarded by a foreign higher education institution, that degree must comply with the provisions of Decree-Law no. 66/2018 of 16th August until the signature of the contract)
- Experience with annotation of video images of benthic communities, preferably of the deep sea, using video annotation software;
- Experience in data analyses for the characterization on benthic communities;
- Experience in the planning and execution in scientific campaigns and operation of scientific equipment;
- Good knowledge of the taxonomy of benthic biodiversity, preferably deep-sea fauna;
Preference will be given to candidates with good knowledge of the Marine Framework Strategy Directive, exemplary performance in oral and written communication in English and working experience in multidisciplinary international projects.
4-Work plan: The candidate will have the following specific responsibilities:
- Carry out annotation and extraction of ecological information from videos of the benthic communities of the Azores taken with underwater equipment.
- Collection of physical-chemical data and water samples for the characterization of the environmental conditions of the biological communities identified by video.
- Conduct statistical analyses of the ecological and environmental data for the characterization on benthic communities and identification of vulnerable marine ecosystems.
- Construction of photomosaics of benthic communities of interest associated to vertical walls;
- Determine the state of communities in vertical walls by applying indicators of Good Environmental Status relevant to the deep-sea ecosystems according to the Marine Strategy Framework Directive and its descriptors;
- Provide support with the preparation of project reports and writing of scientific publications on the results obtained.
5-Applicable legislation: Code of the Portuguese labour, approved by the Law nº7/2009 of 12th of February with all the modifications introduced thereafter.
6-Working location: The work will be developed at IMAR- Instituto do MAR, based at the Department of Oceanography and Fisheries, University of the Azores in Horta (Faial Island) under the scientific supervision of Doutor Marina Carreiro-Silva.
7-Contract duration: The contract aims to satisfy a temporary need of IMAR, for the execution of a specific, precisely defined and non-durable service, the context of which is explained in Sections 1 to 4, during the period strictly necessary for that purpose, while the project referred to in Point 1 lasts, or when the work is completed.
The contract will enter into force on the date of contract signature and expire at the end of the stipulated period or its renewal, if it occurs. Under no circumstances will the contract be in force beyond the period required for execution of the project and may not exceed the legal duration limit.
8-Compensation: The researcher will be paid under the index 33, corresponding the gross value of 2134.73€ (two thousand one hundred and thirty-four euros and seventy-three cents) including all other benefits described in the Portuguese legislation.
9-Selection criteria: The selection of candidates will be based on the evaluation of the detailed Curriculum Vitae, taking into account the demonstration of the capabilities listed in the admission requirements, as well as the fulfilment of admission criteria and preferential conditions. An interview may be carried out with the admitted candidates to clarify relevant aspects for the evaluation.
10-Application submission: The call will be open from December 20 to January 31, 2022. Applications must be submitted by email, with the subject “Call – DeepWalls/iAtlantic” to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the following documents: letter of motivation with justification of skills for the position, a detailed Curriculum Vitae and copies of academic degree certificates as well as other professional certificates and other documentation deemed relevant. Applications can be submitted in Portuguese or English. Failure to submit the requested documents will be reason for exclusion of the application.
11-Evaluation committee: Dr Marina Carreiro-Silva (President of the committee), Dr Telmo Morato (vogal) and Dr Carlos Dominguez-Carrió (vogal). The composition of the evaluation committee may be changed in case of eventual conflict of interests with competing candidates.
12-Notification of results: The final results will be presented in a list ranked by the candidates’ final scores, to be sent by e-mail to all applicants. The successful candidate will be notified via email. If the decision is unfavourable, the candidates have 10 working days to appeal. The jury reserves the right not to award the contract in the event that no candidate has the required academic training, the required qualifications and/or does not present the conditions and/or profile considered necessary for the effective execution of the tasks foreseen in the Project.