IMAR – Institute of Marine Research is opening a call for applications for a fixed-term research contract, starting date March 2020 .
1-Position: The position is offered within the frame of two recently funded H2020 projects: MEESO – Ecologically and economically sustainable mesopelagic fisheries” (H2020-EU.188.8.131.52, GA 817669) and SUMMER – Sustainable management of mesopelagic resources” (H2020-EU.184.108.40.206, GA 817806). The successful candidate will work closely with IMAR Principal Investigators of MEESO and SUMMER on the coordination and delivering research for these projects. More specifically, the candidate will participate, help planning and running all research activities developed in both projects related to the assessment of the composition, biomass and role in food webs of the mesopelagic community in the Azores region.
2-Scientific area: Marine Biology, Marine Ecology or related field
3-Admission requirements: We are looking for early-career, highly motivated researchers with a background in marine or fisheries sciences and strong expertise in quantitative ecological modelling.
Candidates must meet the following requirements to apply for the position:
C1 – Hold a PhD in Marine Biology, Marine Ecology, or related field;
C2 – At least 3-years of post-doc experience in the scientific field of this call;
C3 – Excellent written and oral communication skills in English;
C4 – Ability to travel internationally for project meetings and workshops.
In addition, candidates should demonstrate the following skills and qualities:
C5 – Participation in international projects and documented experience with writing/producing reports and other deliverables (experience in EU H2020, FP7, etc projects will be highly valued);
C6 – Independence, good leadership and organizational skills, capable of handling multiple tasks and meeting deadlines;
C7 – Documented experience in using statistical modelling approaches relevant to the job/project description (such as spatial models, population models, multi-species and ecosystem models);
C8 – Published peer-reviewed articles in the scientific field of this call;
C9 – Experience in scientific cruises, fieldwork with marine megafauna (eg, sharks, pelagic fishes, cetaceans), data collection (sampling) of marine organisms, and laboratory work.
4-Work plan: The successful candidate will have the following principal tasks:
- Assist the PI’s in project management and coordination, including ensuring effective communications with project partners;
- Produce reports and project deliverables, background documents for meetings, minutes, and any other required justification documents, throughout the duration of projects in a timely manner;
- Participate and assist with the organization and running project meetings, workshops and events;
- Assist in establishing and maintaining effective relationships and managing communications with stakeholders (local fisheries and tourism associations, public administration, industry, etc);
- Participate, help planning and organizing fisheries surveys to provide distribution/biomass data and samples for the mesopelagic community, and oceanographic data;
- Participate, help planning and organizing fieldwork to tag and collect samples from megafauna (sharks, pelagic fishes, cetaceans);
- Process and prepare biological and oceanographic samples for analyses;
- Develop/contribute to develop ecological models (eg, niche models, species distribution models, trait-based models, population models, ecosystem models) to determine the functional diversity, spatial and vertical distribution, and interactions of the mesopelagic community;
- Write and contribute to peer-reviewed publications;
- Support students and research assistants in data analysis and fieldwork.
5-Applicable legislation: Code of the Portuguese labour, approved by the Law nº7/2009 of 12th February with all the modifications introduced thereafter
6-Working Location: The work will be developed at IMAR- Instituto do MAR, based at the Department of Oceanography and Fisheries, University of the Azores in Horta (Faial Island) under the scientific supervision of Doutor Pedro Afonso and Doutora Mónica Almeida e Silva.
7-Contract duration: The contract will be valid for one year, renewable until the end of the project, according to the Portuguese law. Under no circumstances will the contract be in force beyond the period required for execution of the project and may not exceed the legal limit of two years.
8-Compensation: The researcher will be paid according the category of Técnico Doutorado, index 33, corresponding to gross value (before taxes) of 2128.34€, including all other benefits described in the Portuguese legislation.
9-Evaluation criteria: The selection of candidates will be based on curriculum evaluation, taking into account the academic record and the demonstration of the skills listed in the admission requirements. Candidates who do not meet admission requirements in points C1 to C4 will be excluded. Admitted candidates will be classified on a scale of 1 to 5 on the following evaluation criteria and weighting scheme: C5 (30%), C6 (15%), C7 (20%), C8 (20%), C9 (15%). Interviews may be conducted to better assess the capability of candidates.
10-Application submission: The call will be open from 5th to 18th February 2020. Applications must be submitted by email, with the subject “Call IMAR/Investigador Doutorado – Mesopelagic resources” to Doutor Pedro Afonso Santos (firstname.lastname@example.org) CC. Dra Sandra Silva (email@example.com), cc with the following documents: letter of motivation with justification of skills for the position, detailed Curriculum Vitae, and copy of university degrees and other certificates. Failure to submit the requested documents will result in the exclusion of the applicant.
11-Evaluation committee: Dr. Pedro Afonso Santos (President of the committee), Dr.Mónica Almeida e Silva (vogal) and Dr. Jorge Fontes (vogal). The composition of the evaluation committee may be changed in case of eventual conflict of interests with competing candidates.
12-Notification of results: The final results will be presented in a list ranked by the candidates’ final scores, to be sent by e-mail to all applicants. The successful candidate will be notified via email. If the decision is unfavourable, the candidates have 10 working days to appeal. IMAR reserves the right to cancel this process and not select any candidate, if no candidate presents the required academic training, the qualifications and/or does not meet the conditions and/or profile deemed necessary for the efficient execution of activity.