IMAR – Institute of Marine Research is opening a call for applications for an uncertain resolute term research contract, expected starting date May 2020.
- Position: IMAR-Instituto do MAR is opening a call for a post-doctoral researcher (M/F) within the scope of the research project entitled Impactor- “Impacts of human activities in the Azores cold-water corals physiological resilience” (ACORES-01-0145-FEDER-000122; from now on designated as ‘Project’), funded by the program Açores 2020 and managed by IMAR-Instituto do MAR, at the Departamento de Oceanografia e Pescas da Universidade dos Açores.
- Scientific area: Biological Sciences
- Admission requirements: Candidates must hold: 1) a PhD or Doctorate degree in Biology or Marine Ecology; 2) Minimum of 5 years research experience on marine ecotoxicology field; 3) a broad understanding of deep-sea ecosystems in the Azores Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ); 4) Research experience, with hands-on technical experience in experimental design, planning and execution of microcosm trials; manipulation of environmental parameters in a controlled environment, such as CO2, temperature, pH and trace metals; 5) proof of skills for the manipulation of aquatic organims as experimental models (certification is mandatory); 6) high skills and independence in laboratory environment; advance knowledge on spectrophotometry and electrophoresis methods, extraction and quantification of proteins, enzymes and mRNA and histology in biological tissues; 7) Good capacity and value for teamwork, and communication skills; 8) Fluency in Portuguese and/or English. Preference will be given to candidates with independence in laboratory environment, and exemplary scientific path in the study of metals impact on the physiology of deep-sea invertebrates and good knowledge of marine ecosystems in the Azores region. The non-compliance of these requirements imposes the exclusion of the application.
- Work plan: Perform scientific research on marine ecotoxicology field, publish and promote the debate around the effect of anthropogenic actions on deep-sea ecosystems; Conduct experiments at controlled conditions with manipulation of trace metals and pCO2; Promote meetings and seminars to raise public awareness of the impacts of human actions on deep-sea ecosystems; Evaluate the interactive effect of copper exposure and climate change in target species of cold-water corals from Azores EEZ; Investigate and develop new lines, tools and methods to characterize and predict the vulnerability of deep-sea systems to climate change; Contribute to the development of scientific reports and articles that will help to support government actions; Contribute to an independent research and submit funding proposals; Supervise students at the undergraduate, master and doctoral level
- Applicable legislation: Code of the Portuguese labour, approved by the Law nº7/2009 of 12th February with all the modifications introduced thereafter
- Working Location: The work will be developed at IMAR- Instituto do MAR, based at the Department of Oceanography and Fisheries, University of the Azores in Horta (Faial Island).
- The contract is to address a temporary need of IMAR, during the period strictly necessary for this purpose, on an exclusive basis as mandated by IMAR-Institute do Mar contract regulations and Portuguese legislation, in particular the Portuguese Labour Code.
- The contract will remain active from the date of signature until the end of the project´s funding, or completion of the work. The contract expires when predicting the occurrence of the term, IMAR communicates this information to the Researcher, with at least seven, 30 or 60 days as the contract has lasted up to six months, six months to two years or longer period.
- Compensation: The researcher will be paid according the category of Técnico Doutorado, index 37, corresponding to gross value (before taxes) of 2334.30€, including all other benefits described in the Portuguese legislation.
- Evaluation criteria: The selection of candidates consist in the evaluation of the 1) Curriculum Vitae (25%); 2) motivation letter (35%), considering the scientific and curricular backgrounds of the candidates, taking into account the demonstration of the capabilities listed in the admission requirements; laboratory autonomy and experience in studying the impacts of heavy metals on deep-sea marine invertebrates (40%). Interviews may be conducted to better assess the capability of candidates.
- Application submission: The call will be open from March 11 to 24 March 2020. Application should be submitted by email, addressed to Claúdia Oliveira (firstname.lastname@example.org t) CC to Sandra Silva, (email@example.com ) with the subject “Call – Impactor – 2020”, including the following documents: a motivation letter including a personal evaluation of the scientific and curricular backgrounds, for the last 5 years, adequate for the position; detailed Curriculum Vitae; official documents of the academic degree and certificate of qualification for handling aquatic organism as experimental models and other relevant documents; Name and email address of up to 3 referees.
- Evaluation committee: The evaluation committee is composed by Cláudia Oliveira, PhD (Chair), Daphne Cuvelier, PhD (member) and Telmo Morato, PhD (member). The composition of the evaluation committee may be changed in case of eventual conflict of interests with competing candidates.
- Notification of results: The results will be presented in a list ranked by the candidates’ final scores, to be sent by e-mail to all applicants. The successful candidate will be notified via email. If the decision is unfavourable, the candidates have 10 working days to appeal. IMAR reserves the right to cancel this process and not select any candidate, if no candidate presents the required academic training, the qualifications and/or does not meet the conditions and/or profile deemed necessary for the efficient execution of activity.