IMAR – Institute of Marine Research is opening a call for applications for an uncertain resolute term research contract, expected starting date May 2020.
- Position: IMAR-Instituto do MAR is opening a call for a post-doctoral researcher (M/F) within the scope of the research project entitled PESCAz – Pescarias Sustentáveis nos Açores: como pode ser melhorada a base científica para avaliações do estado dos recursos pesqueiros?, reference MAR-01.03.02-FEAMP-0039,), funded by the program Açores 2020 and managed by IMAR-Instituto do MAR, at the Departamento de Oceanografia e Pescas da Universidade dos Açores.
- Scientific area: Biological Sciences
- Admission requirements: Post-doctoral experience in research activities for monitoring and evaluation of marine biological resources with relevance to the region of the Azores, supporting policy decision making processes (C1);
- Experience in statistical analysis of time series from fishery-dependent and fishery-independent (surveys) data, including Generalized linear modelling approach and stratified sampling data analysis (C2);
- Knowledge on Azorean marine fauna (diversity, biology and ecological aspects) and fishing activities (operational regime, fleet characteristics, target species, fishery regulations) (C3);
- Demonstrated capacity to perform independent research, a good record scientific publications (considering its number and the ranking of the authors) and supervision/co-supervision of students in the fisheries-related scientific area (C4);
- Good communication skills (oral and written) in English and Portuguese (C5).
In the event the doctorate degree was awarded by a foreign higher education institution,that degree must comply with the provisions of Decree-Law no. 66/2018 of 16th August until the signature of the contract.
- Work plan: Construction of a reference list of the species caught in the Azores and identifying priority stocks for monitoring. Summary and critical review of stock assessment methodologies and procedures. Promote training activities for fishermen on the management mechanisms of fisheries resources. Organize and lead workshops for knowledge transfer between scientists and stakeholders. Perform statistical analyses, produce project deliverables, reports and scientific papers. Assist project management, supervise students and participate in scientific meetings and working groups.
The candidate will integrate the Fish Stock Assessment team working on subjects of local, national and international scientific interest.
- Applicable legislation: Code of the Portuguese labor, approved by the Law nº7/2009 of 12th February with all the modifications introduced thereafter
- Working Location: The work will be developed at IMAR- Instituto do MAR, based at the Department of Oceanography and Fisheries, University of the Azores in Horta (Faial Island).
- Contract duration:
- The contract is to address a temporary need of IMAR, during the period strictly necessary for this purpose, on an exclusive basis as mandated by IMAR-Institute do Mar contract regulations and Portuguese legislation, in particular the Portuguese Labour Code.
- The contract will remain active from the date of signature until the end of the project´s funding, or completion of the work. The contract expires when predicting the occurrence of the term, IMAR communicates this information to the Researcher, with at least seven, 30 or 60 days as the contract has lasted up to six months, six months to two years or longer period.
- Compensation: The researcher will be paid according the category of Técnico Doutorado, index 33, corresponding to gross value (before taxes) of 2128.34€, including all other benefits described in the Portuguese legislation.
- Evaluation criteria: Candidates will be evaluated and scored (from 1 to 5) in each criterion based on the following weighting: C1 (40%), C2 (20%), C3 (20%), C4 (10%) and C5 (10%). The final classification will be the arithmetic mean of the jury.Interviews may be conducted to better assess the capability of candidates.
- Application submission: The call will be open from March 13 to 26 March 2020. Application should be submitted by email, addressed to Mário Rui Pinho (firstname.lastname@example.org) CC to Sandra Silva, (email@example.com ) with the subject “Call – Pescaz – 2020”, including the following documents: a motivation letter including a personal evaluation of the scientific and curricular backgrounds, detailed Curriculum Vitae; official documents of the academic degree .
- Evaluation committee: The evaluation committee is composed by Mário Rui Pinho, PhD (Chair), João Gonçalves, PhD (member) and Helder Marques da Silva, PhD (member). The composition of the evaluation committee may be changed in case of eventual conflict of interests with competing candidates.
Notification of results: The results will be presented in a list ranked by the candidates’ final scores, to be sent by e-mail to all applicants. The successful candidate will be notified via email. If the decision is unfavorable, the candidates have 10 working days to appeal. IMAR reserves the right to cancel this process and not select any candidate, if no candidate presents the required academic training, the qualifications and/or does not meet the conditions and/or profile deemed necessary for the efficient execution of activity.