Applications for the 2nd edition of the Marine Robotics Summer School are open between March 24 and April 18, 2022.
This summer school is an initiative jointly organized by the MIT Portugal Program (MPP), LSTS – Underwater Systems and Technology Laboratory (FEUP), and the University of Azores, with the participation of AIR Centre; CoLab +ATLANTIC; Gaspar Frutuoso Foundation; School of the Sea of the Azores; and Instituto de Investigação em Ciências do Mar – OKEANOS. The Summer course in under the High Patronage of the Regional Government of Azores.
The 2022 Marine Robotics Summer School will take place at Faial island, in the Azores, between July 11 and 22. For 2 weeks, attendees will acquire expertise in marine robotics and oceanography, more specifically in applications for ocean observation, archaeology, and mapping of ecosystems.
The program includes:
- Lectures with world-renowned experts from the US (MIT) and Europe;
- Workshops that present the basics of ocean sciences and the use of robotics in ocean research and monitoring;
- Field demonstrations to showcase the latest autonomous systems technology, instrumentation, sensors, and remote operations;
- Hands-on field studies targeting oceanographic phenomena around the Azores;
- Experience deploying, operating, and recovering autonomous systems;
- Experience working with ocean data standards and performing data analysis.
The organizers will provide a student sponsorship for travel and lodging for the candidates selected in order to support their participation in the Marine Robotics Summer School. The sponsorship includes flight from Lisbon to Faial and a shared room nearby the venue.
To be considered for the sponsorship, please indicate so on your Summer School application. More information about the procedures for this sponsorship will be provided to the selected candidates.